pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Show & Tell 11-20-10

Info graphics - the good, the bad, and the ugly...


I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who is still having a little difficulty in determining what makes a great info graphic and what makes a mess. It's supposed to be engaging and not easily understood at first, yet not confusing or misconstrued. You want your audience to enjoy looking at it, but it shouldn't be covered in images and graphics that don't have meaning. All in all, this may be the biggest challenge of my career yet...but I'm working on it. In the meantime, checking out samples online helps at least to conjure up ideas. Here are few of recent ones I've found:


I actually think the main gaphic is interesting, showing overlapping time in his career between academics and employment. I'm still unsure if this is good for the purpose of a resume though. Does it obscure the data too much? I agree the bottom two graphs are maybe overkill, but I'm still digging the main info graphic here. 




















Below are some examples of info graphics that could use a little work. The complexity of the graphics in the geological timeline overpowers the actual information you get from it. Additionally, the Weatherford one is basically a flow chart, mixed with terrible clip art characters and scenes. No real exciting information here. And as for the video game stats, this is a lot of data that is related, but not dependently, and covered up with colors and graphics galore. To me, these are uninspired info graphics, even if it did take the artist countless hours to create.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment